Saturday, May 07, 2005

Pattern for stepdaughter's scarf

The scarf is a variation of a feather and fan pattern. If I give an instruction that is incomprehensible, post a comment and I'll try to clear things up. I'm going to put up the instructions for the pattern and not the scarf which is just five side by side iterations of the pattern.

k# - knit specified number of stitches
p# - purl specified number of stitches
k2tog - knit two together
yo - yarn over
R - Randmacshe (first / last stitch)

NOTE: The feather and fan pattern is worked over 17 + 2 stitches. This means the pattern covers 17 stitches plus one beginning stitch and one ending stitch. In German, the first and last stitches are called Randmaschen and that is how I always think of them. The Randmaschen are never part of the pattern.

Row 1: R, * p17 *, R

Row 2: R, * k17 *, R

Row 3: R, * k17 *, R

Row 4: R, * k2tog, k2tog, k2tog, yo, K1, yo, K1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, k2tog, k2tog *, R

This completes the 4 rows that make up one iteration of the feather and fan pattern. The asterisks (*) in the pattern rows indicate the 17 stitches of the pattern.

(Photo)

5 comments:

Tati said...

Thanks for taking the time to post this! It is a beautiful scarf, I never thought the pattern could be so simple!

Btw, I got to level 12 on Black Night, ;-).

Seitherin said...

It is very simple. I haven't done a lot of knitting on it because of the carpal tunnel thing, but it works up fairly quickly as well. I only spent about 2 hours this weekend working on it.

As for Black Knight, I've pretty much given up on it because how well you do seems to be dependent on how good your computer is and not how good you are. The only computer I can get anything resembling a decent score on is my new one at work.

Maggie Ann said...

This sounds nice. I am making a baby blanket with the 'feather and fan' lace border.

Karen said...

I'm so glad this is still here. I've lost my notes on the pattern (again). This time, I've made a screenshot and saved it to the computer, which hopefully is less scatterbrained than I am.

Seitherin said...

Glad to be of service again. One of these days I'll get around to fixing the problem of photos no longer being available.